St Ives Past & Present

SSP.TV

A collection of films regarding St Ives School of Painting and the importance of St Ives and Porthmeor Studios as an artists’ colony.

ST IVES IN THE PAST

A glimpse into St Ives and the St Ives School of Painting originally established here in 1938 by Leonard Fuller. Have fun spotting the same buildings that still surround the studios in the artistic quarter. See how little has changed!

British Pathe Films
SPOT LEONARD FULLER TEACH ST IVES SCHOOL OF PAINTING STUDENTS ON THE BEACH

THE RENOVATION OF THE STUDIOS

In 2012 the £4M renovation of Porthmeor Studios was finally completed. Decades of exposure to Atlantic gales had greatly weakened the fabric of the building and it found itself on the English Heritage ‘Buildings At Risk Register. The works involved the repair and strengthening of the building, improving access and acoustic and thermal insulation.

The studios now provides high quality and essential workspace for fishermen in four cellars; for artists in fifteen studios and with two studios each for the St Ives School of Painting and the Borlase Smart John Wells Trust.

The films below give you a glimpse into the studios before they were transformed into the warm, comfortable space we occupy today.

See the studios before renovation (left) and after renovation (right)

31/1/2021Jane Cowans

Share on

Related Stories