Give yourself the space to create and take advantage of our brand new Self Study Studio. Extend your study time in St Ives and work in our new light and airy studio space above the Penwith Gallery, a 3 minute walk from Porthmeor Studios.
Use one of 4 available spaces in Studio 5, above Penwith Gallery, for a day or longer and give yourself a mini residency. This studio is for those booked onto a course with us and members. This space will offer the opportunity to extend your study with us and continue to be creative following on or proceeding your course.
- We will provide one A2 drawing board for you to use as well as an easel and table.
- Tea, instant coffee and milk.
- Access to a fridge and a shared sink.
- You can purchase painting boards and paper from the School (please request these when booking).
- The toilet is around the corner around the back of the studio.
- In the winter we heat the space with an electric oil heater. Electricity is included.
Access to the studio will be between 9.15 am – 4.30pm . This is to ensure a member of staff can lock up at the end of each day. You will need to pick up your key from Porthmeor Studios each day.
- We don’t provide painting/drawing materials, so you will need to bring your own.
- If working in oils, we ask that you please consider other students working in the studio who might have a sensitivity to solvents and use low odour spirit or alternatives such as Zest It.
- To make the space work students will need to restrict themselves to making work that doesn’t create dust.
- You can buy paper and boards to work on from the School (please request these when booking).
- There is no internet connected but you might be able to get a signal on your phone.
- Due to there being working studios below and next to you we ask that you don’t play music or the radio.
- The space can only be used for making work and can’t be used as a public gallery space.
- The studio space is accessed via a steep cobbled ramp and steps, which can be slippery if wet.
- We ask students to tidy up their space before they leave.
You might also like...
Coastal Cyanotypes + Relief Printing
Mon 12 - Wed 14 Aug 2024 - 3 days
Join new tutor Annabel Wilkes for this exciting approach to image-making using found objects from St Ives' beautiful coastline.
Thu 7 Dec - 2 hour(s)
Drawing from the figure is a classic, traditional skill and these tutored life drawing classes are ideal for those wanting to learn and improve, build a portfolio or for beginners who would like to just have a go.
Developing Drawing Skills
Mon 18 - Thu 21 Nov 2024 - 4 days
Liz Luckwell + Hilary Jean Gibson
Learn to master the power of the simple line. Working from subjects in and around the studios, create compelling observational drawings and equip yourself with an entirely new creative toolbox.
Mon 19 - Wed 21 Feb 2024 - 3 days
Using vibrant colour and dream-like studio settings, explore Matisse's iconic techniques for creating paintings full of the pleasure of looking, led by artist Alice Mumford.
Abstracting Nature (CW)
Fri 23 - Sun 25 Feb 2024 - 3 days
Enjoy creating experimental and abstract compositions, inspired by the surrounding landscape and natural materials gathered, whilst walking in nature.
Composition, Intuition + Instinct in Painting
Mon 14 - Wed 16 Oct 2024 - 3 days
An introduction to finding ways into creating lively, expressive paintings through intuitive and instinctual responses to the world around you.
Figure - Shape, Colour + Texture
Join us for this two hour recording of a figure class inspired by the Bay Area Movement artist David Park. Broadcast from our studio in St Ives with a clothed model.